Monday, February 14, 2011

Ode to Brian...

One memory sticks out at me that I feel I need to share…Over Christmas time, we were getting ready to leave my parents’ house after staying for several days. I was busy gathering and packing stuff into the car. Brian was changing Norah’s diaper and getting her dressed. Mom says to me “You know, Brian is such a great Dad. He does things that dads typically don’t do very often or hate doing (like dirty diapers, etc.)” I responded something like this - ”Yeah, well he has no choice. I have to work full time, so he can’t sit back and watch me do everything for Norah. He needs to help out because I’m not there all the time.” I have struggled with becoming the kind of mom I always thought I would be and the reality of having to work full time. I have good days and bad days; obviously when I made this comment, it was a bad day.
 
Brian doesn’t change dirty diapers, give baths, feed bottles, clean up puke just because I’m not there all the time. He does it because he wants to, because he takes his role of being a Dad seriously and loves every minute of it. I rarely have to ask him to do something for Norah because he’s already done it. Brian knows what she eats for breakfast, lunch dinner, her favorite books/toys/games, how to play with her, give her a bath, when she needs a nap…everything. Watching Brian become a father has made me fall in love with him all over again. Mushy, I know…but it is Valentine’s Day after all. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment